The Irish Elasmobranch Group was established in August 1997, by scientists involved in shark, skate and ray research in Ireland, with the primary goal of bringing together all those who are interested in these fish. Membership of the group is open to anyone with an interest, whether professional or recreational, in the elasmobranchs occurring in Irish waters. Anglers are particularly welcome as their knowledge of sharks, skates and rays is of specific importance.
The aims of the group are:
- To advance the conservation of elasmobranchs in Irish and international waters.
- To promote and disseminate elasmobranch research in Ireland.
- To promote the sustainable management of exploited elasmobranch stocks.
- To provide a public resource of educational material on elasmobranchs.
- To prevent the duplication of research effort through improved communication between researchers in Ireland and abroad.